1) What about mermaids inspires you?
Always being drawn to fairytales and escapism as a child, I haven't grown out of being in awe of the idea of women who dwell in underwater reefs and adorn themselves with shells and starfish.
2) What draws you to fashion?
For the longest time I felt like the clothes I wanted to wear were forever out of my reach and I ended up wearing t-shirts and jeans all the time. As great as I think t-shirts and jeans are, I felt very self-conscious about myself and body in them. Over time, I realized that this wasn't the case at all - and realizing the greatness that is online shopping (like on etsy!), thrifting, and DIY, I realized dressing how I wanted wasn't impossible at all! As I started experimenting with my personal style and learning what I felt the most comfortable in, my self-conscious and overall opinion on my outward appearance has improved so much. Knowing fashion can play such an important role in how we see ourselves makes it invaluable to me.
3) What makes you feel brave?Remembering the beautiful people I have in my life supporting and rooting for me! Taking time to take care of myself, putting on lipstick, and wearing one of my favorite outfits gives me courage as well.
4) What advice do you have for other girls who are illustrators?
I know it's difficult, but try your hardest to not compare yourself to others and get discouraged! Comparison is the thief of joy and I guarantee both you AND your work is good enough.
5) If you were stuck in a world fighting evil demons, what would your weapon be?
I would love Fionna's crystal sword!
♥ Kailey's blog Mermaidens
♥ Kailey's illustration blog
♥ Kailey's Tumblr